Palmetto Health Medical Group Physician Billing Specialist in Columbia, South Carolina
Job Summary: All employees are expected to be knowledgeable and compliant with Palmetto Health's values of compassion, dignity, excellence, integrity and teamwork. In addition, this job is responsible for working patient account issues, including making arrangements to resolve past due balances as well as initiating refunds for accounts. The candidate will communicate with internal and external persons in order to make a determination on the resolution of the account. The candidate serves as a representative of PH by interacting with external vendors and agencies.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent required. Associates Degree preferred.
Experience: 3 years professional billing including patient accounts and collections. Previous experience with bankruptcy and estate billing preferred.
Number and Type of Employees Supervised: None
Licensure, Registry or Certification Required: None
Special Training: Must be computer literate; prefer experience with current Practice Management System; must be dependable and self motivating; ability to work independently with problem solving capabilities; extensive working knowledge of standard billing regulations; must have the ability to read and comprehend insurance remits; must have experience in Customer Service and be able to communicate well (verbal and in writing) with others.
• Initiates conversation as well as responds to inquiries on accounts, communicating with debtors both orally and in writing for the successful resolution of balances owed.
• Reviews all deliquent accounts and determines the action needed to resolve them. This may include preparing the account for small claims court, collection agency, probate court, etc.
• Provide detailed documentation for all actions taken on accounts.
• Prepare and maintain daily and monthly reports.
• Identify accounts with credit balances and process refunds accordingly.
• Prepare accounts for State Treasury Unclaimed Property.
• Effectively utilize time and resources in order to meet performance goals.
• Clearly communicate any billing related issues to management.
• Maintain current knowledge of government regulatory, departmental and organizational policies.
• All other duties as assigned.